Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Thailand Trip


Thailand - Part One


My most recent adventure was to 'Amazing Thailand'.

My trip started a bit rough. I went to the airport 2.5 hours early, and get myself into the line up. I wait and the sign says counter will open 2 hours before departure (as usual). So i wait for 45 minutes, and well they were 15 minutes late. I see them but something is different. I'm supposed to be flying KLM, but these are China Airlines workers. They get ready and post Flight canceled posters.

But they are taking passengers bags etc. So i wait and i guess due to bad weather in China my plane is stranded there. So China Scarelines took over the flight...well part of it. Their plane comes in 5 hours later, and gets into Bangkok (BKK) at 1:40am...ugg
But not all passengers can get on...so i counted myself lucky.

I wait forever in the freezing cold terminal, and we take off 15 minutes late. We arrive in BKK and wait another 45 minutes in the plane because there is no gate available to park the big bird. Not very comfortable.

Get off the plane, get through immigration etc, and wait for my bags......wait forever.....my bags 2nd to last.

Go to find a taxi, and the chauffer people attack me, saying first this is a taxi. Then I say no and walk away, they ask how much you wanna pay, so i told them 1/4 of their asking price...they said oh ...and walked away. Then I saw the next set of doors had regular taxis, and a table to get the location for the driver. I go there, and as I am walking up to the drivers the only other guy wanting a taxi was going to the same general location as me...so I asked him if he wanted to share a taxi....so we did.

I went to Koh San Road in Bkk the backpacker/foreigners main spot. Tried to get a room...the time now is 3:30 am. Tired. And every place we try is booked. The guy I'm with place was sold out too. So I went to the last place i had researched online, and they said we will have a room at 5 am. someone will check out early. Si I took it and waited 1.5 hours to get a room. Luckily they charged me for only one night as i was staying the next night as well. It was clean and basic. Tiny bathr4ooms, but had air conditioning.

I had a nap from 6 till 10am and went out to check out the scene.
Koh San Rd. is pretty tame, and is full of foreign backpackers. There seemed to be a feeling of one-up-man-ship when it came to backpack sizes. Some people women included all had enormous backpacks. Some little women, I'm sure their backpack was 3/4 their size and probably heavier than they were.

I went for a small meal of Pad Thai. Since I was in Rome I had to eat Roman food.
Basically you can find Travel Agents, Silver shops, souvenir shops,t-shirt and bars n restaurants. This is about all...and they just repeat over n over. The place felt safe and easy to walk about. But for me.. the Thai Weather Gods had a different plan....so it rained most of the day with a couple of dry periods.

That evening i went out again to find a local fish n chips place that had received rave reviews. It called 'Oh My Cod' and Oh my cod it was good...Super tasty.

I waited for a while and had to meet a friend at midnight as his plane was getting in one day later than mine. So we had planned to meet at one pub named Gulliver's Travels as it was on the corner of a major intersection. I went in about 1130pm, sat down ordered a drink. No longer than 1 minute one Thai bar chic sits down and starts chatting to me. Basic little chit chat and i tell her I'm waiting for a friend.

She asks guy or girl, I say guy and look towards the door. As I look at the door she attaches herself to my arm and starts flirting as hard as she can. I know what her goal is but I'm not playing that game. I stayed until midnight and told her i had to check for my friend. So i used it as an excuse to leave. a couple minutes later Paddy a co worker arrived. So a valid excuse but I was there to kill time not hook up .

End of Part 1

No comments:

 
Who links to me?