Friday, February 06, 2009

The end of a long day. I went to Pre Rup a less populated sunset location. The sunset was pretty much a wash, but I still managed to get some usable shots.

I like the unusual angles and less popularly photographed areas of the temples.
This one I like as it made me think of the lion howling at the sky. However looking more closely the style of carving is such that the lions face is both very flat and in this case partially missing.

The atmosphere while I took this shot was changing very fast as the sun was dropping out of the sky. I had to really force my self to stop and think clearly and choose my subjects carefully because I knew I only had a few minutes left for the day.

This is from Preah Ko earlier in the day. Its part of the Rolous group, known for the some very beautiful early carvings.

As you can see in the foreground the ruins are often walked upon. In many cases the carvings have fallen or are in a position where they must be touched. I felt really bad walking on ancient carvings to get to the other sides, but had no choice as
they were often laid as stepping stones to other parts.
This one was one of my most memorable moments. I had finished checking out
Preah Ko, and was walking away when a little girl and her mom came up. Her mom worked for the APSARA Authority (the company looking after the temples).

I waited around because I knew something was going to happen. I waited for around 7 minutes standing way back so as not to be noticed. No one else was around this temple. The little girl walked up to the temple opening bend way over looking in all around and up to the top. Then took a big breath and screamed.

A few bats raced out of the opening lest they die from the sound waves. Then the girl laughed and giggled for a couple of minutes as though she knew very well the havoc she caused for the bats.
Shortly after she started playing with her echo with all sorts of whoops, bleeps, and
acks.

No comments:

 
Who links to me?